[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers

Jason Wessel jason.wessel at windriver.com
Tue Jun 19 18:03:41 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 12:51 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:49:24AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>
>> Don't get me started about the "embedded" distros, I never see anything
>> from them, nor from anywhere else (Arch and Mint, do they even have a
>> kernel team?  Gentoo, what happened to their kernel developers?)
>
> Are there any embedded distros with substantial kernel teams outside of
> device manufacturers?  The only folks I can think of are Android...

What exactly are you considering and embedded distribution these days?

I would certainly like to think that Wind River is contributing with
in Android, embedded Linux (into kernel.org), kernel.org -stable
maintenance, as well as adding kernel build, regression and BSP
infrastructure in the Yocto Project.  Perhaps Wind River is the
exception the rule?

I can't say things are perfect, in that there are BSPs with binary
blobs from Silicon vendors and SDKs with patent encumbered technology
etc...  But this is a broad problem that even non-embedded folks have
to deal with as well.

Cheers,
Jason.