[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Process issues, device model, stable

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Jun 19 16:52:08 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:54:29PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 20:45 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
>
> >  - Stable kernel releases, mostly in the same areas as everyone else
> >    has been mentinoning though with a different set of distributions and
> >    users in mind to most.
> >
> >    I do keep wondering if it's worth providing a way to flag up
> >    non-bugfix backports to distros and other people maintaining older
> >    kernels.  I relatively often find myself with fixes that definitely
> >    don't meet the stable kernel critera but which realistically I'd
> >    expect anyone deploying with older kernels to want to grab along with
> >    their hardware enablement stuff (which is a separate issue).  I think
> >    this might be part of why people aren't bothering so much as they
> >    might with tagging things for stable.
>
> I've wondered if we should create a 'unstable' branch ;-)  That is, a
> stable + things that most distros backport.

That's what the LTSI project is trying to do:
	http://ltsi.linuxfoundation.org/
So far, it's primarily embedded board support patches going into its
kernel, as that's the people who are paying attention to it.

I'd recommend using that first, before wanting to create
yet-another-tree.

thanks,

greg k-h