[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Tue Jun 19 16:19:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 11:17 -0700, Joe Perches wrote:

> scripts/[maintainer_tools?]... seems an appropriate place.

The problem with the scripts directory, is that I find it mostly for
automated actions done by the make files. As that's where a lot of that
code is. I know we have things like checkpatch there, but honestly, I
would like to clean out scripts and make it only for the build process.
Or to move the build process out of scripts and make a new directory
called build/.

I really have no idea what is in scripts. Half the stuff looks like it
helps the build process. I mean there's depmod.sh. Would we ever use
that for anything but the build?

There's also headers.sh which has as a comment:

# Run headers_$1 command for all suitable architectures

What the heck is that?

Perhaps we can discuss how to clean up these various scripts and such. I
propose:

mv scripts build
mkdir tools/scripts
mv <non-build-scripts> tools/scripts