[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] arm soc platforms, new architectures

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Jun 19 14:39:19 UTC 2012

I'd like to attend the kernel summit this year to represent those
ARM platforms that don't have anyone attending themselves. As Olof
mentioned already, we maintain the arm-soc tree together, which
accounts for a sizeable number of the total patches each merge
window.

Most of that work is done in the individual subarchitectures
and I definitely hope that we can have the most important ones
represented by their maintainers at the summit, but I can at
least give an update about the overall status (there will be a
longer talk that I do at Plumbers), and speak for those platforms
don't have their own maintainer at the summit.

Last year, we also had a very successful ARM subarchitecture
maintainer mini-summit right before the kernel summit, and Olof
and I are both thinking we should have another one. I'd like
to hear now if people think that would be useful to colocate
with the kernel summit, as a break-out session or a separate
mini-summit. If it doesn't work out that time, we should plan
to have one at either ELC-Europe or Linaro Connect two months
later.

On a separate topic, I'd like to present the status of
new architecture ports (if anything happens in this area).
Things have calmed down a lot, with the last ones
(openrisc, c6x, hexagon) being submitted very cleanly
and merged without much discussion, and not much
news from nios2, lm32, arc or meta recently although all of
those had people working on upstream submission in the past.

The 64-bit ARM port that Catalin Marinas is working on will
certainly draw more attention though. I think he should do
a session about this himself, but as the primary contact
for new architectures, I will certainly be involved in the
discussion as well.

	Arnd