[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers

Mel Gorman mgorman at suse.de
Tue Jun 19 09:58:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:08:06AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > <SNIP>
> > The toughest part for me right now is finding all the patches to apply,
> > (i.e. digging through distro kernel trees) and dealing with random
> > emails from people who don't read Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt.
>
> Bah.  If you're having to go digging in distro trees then distro people
> need a vigorous wedgie.

How big of a problem is this? My own track record is not necessarily perfect
in this regard but for the important fixes I'm aware of they were being
upstreamed at the same time they were merged to a distro tree and later
removed when -stable released. I was under the impression that this was
typically the case.

Is it a case that the distro tree fixes are not core patches or are they
backports that are not getting resubmitted for -stable?

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs