[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Process issues, device model, stable

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Tue Jun 19 09:21:00 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:54:29PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> I've wondered if we should create a 'unstable' branch ;-)  That is, a
> stable + things that most distros backport.

> But consider this a unstable branch because it breaks the rules of
> stability. I don't know how much the distros would like to collaborate
> in such an effort. This will remove their "advantage" from each other
> (If one ever existed).

I'm mostly coming at this from the embedded side so a lot of the things
I'm thinking about here are much more about device enablement than they
are marketable features - they're typically things like small, obvious
extensions and fixes that didn't come up with stable because nobody was
using them or similar.  They're not the sort of things you can really
differentiate on them, and indeed trying to differentiate on them can
actually be a cost as people are often nervous about device enablement
code outside of drivers.

> I would not recommend that Greg handle this. It would require someone
> else that would want such a public repo. Greg has too much on his hands
> to do something silly like this.

On the other hand if Greg were to volunteer I'd see no reason to turn
down a willing victim :)