[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Process issues, device model, stable

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Tue Jun 19 02:54:29 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 20:45 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

>  - Stable kernel releases, mostly in the same areas as everyone else
>    has been mentinoning though with a different set of distributions and
>    users in mind to most.
>
>    I do keep wondering if it's worth providing a way to flag up
>    non-bugfix backports to distros and other people maintaining older
>    kernels.  I relatively often find myself with fixes that definitely
>    don't meet the stable kernel critera but which realistically I'd
>    expect anyone deploying with older kernels to want to grab along with
>    their hardware enablement stuff (which is a separate issue).  I think
>    this might be part of why people aren't bothering so much as they
>    might with tagging things for stable.

I've wondered if we should create a 'unstable' branch ;-)  That is, a
stable + things that most distros backport.

But consider this a unstable branch because it breaks the rules of
stability. I don't know how much the distros would like to collaborate
in such an effort. This will remove their "advantage" from each other
(If one ever existed).

I would not recommend that Greg handle this. It would require someone
else that would want such a public repo. Greg has too much on his hands
to do something silly like this.

-- Steve