[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] driver development (MTD/SPI)

Brian Norris computersforpeace at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 02:14:54 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm interested in attending this year's Kernel Summit. I have
experience in driver development, particularly for SoC environments,
and have been a major contributor in the MTD subsystem and a minor
contributor to others.

Generally, I am interested in meeting (in person) developers I have
previously corresponded with, as well as networking with and hearing
from others from across the development spectrum.

Potential topics that are relevant to my area:

Supporting multi-lane/high-speed modes over the traditional Serial
Peripheral Interface (SPI) for NOR flash -- e.g., QSPI. The
established bus framework in the kernel currently does not support new
(non-standardized) modes in use by the newest flash technologies, and
so existing solutions involve workarounds for each new
controller/driver combination.

Handling the unstable bits problem in NAND flash using UBIFS.[1] This
issue has been batted around for a while but is becoming more
important as manufacturers create even more higher-density, low-cost,
less-reliable NAND flash. Collaboration on this issue could help in
providing a way forward, where previous "work" has consisted simply of
comments from maintainers and developers who don't have time to
develop themselves.[2]

Thanks,
Brian

[1] http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html#L_unstable_bits