[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] writeback and kernel testing

H. Peter Anvin h.peter.anvin at intel.com
Sun Jun 17 01:29:49 UTC 2012

On 06/16/2012 06:18 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 10:50:41PM +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> [ ... ]
>>
>> Yeah, that should be a pretty common impression. The hardware
>> capability and the fruit of catching one bug per day turns out to be
>> much higher than my expectation :-)
>>
> How many servers do you actually need to compile 25k kernels per day ?
> With my little system (i7-2600, SSD) I get about 1,000 randconfig kernel builds
> per 24 hours, so it should not be too many.

It would be nice to have a "kernel testing appliance" -- rather than a
bunch of people writing similar stuff have something that anyone with
spare hardware can put on a system.  Bonus points if it actually can
drive a physical test box, too.  I think tglx was working on something
like that at one point; Ingo has a setup like that but it is apparently
extremely ad hoc.

	-hpa