[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jun 18 21:44:13 UTC 2012

On 06/18/2012 01:55 PM, Jiri Kosina wrote:

>> This seems to be going down the rathole that we tried to address with
>> the "Impact:" notes in -tip.  It didn't work :(
>
> I'd be interested in more background of 'didn't work', to prevent me/us
> from reinventing the wheel.

Contributors didn't comply and eventually complained to Linus, and Linus
said "I hate it" and so that killed it.

The underlying problem seems to have been trying to get something
relevant into a single line gets people really up in arms; on the other
hand engineers when asked to describe something tend to go into a *very*
long-winded explanation which requires a lot of domain-specific
knowledge to make heads or tails of, especially quickly.

	-hpa