[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] writeback and kernel testing

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon Jun 18 21:21:35 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 05:12:59PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 01:55:36PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>
>  > I have another suggestion: Can we get some code analysis tool to run over the
>  > kernel on a regular basis ? Or, if we do, some more ?
>  >
>  > I just happened to get a Coverity result from the 3.0 kernel. Most of the bugs
>  > it finds have been corrected in the current kernel, but some are still there.
>
> They are actually constantly re-running the tests on Linus' tree.
> (Looks like the last run was on the 15th). It found 5438 potential bugs right now,
> but it needs people to actually review the code to determine if the bug is real
> or a false positive.
>
> I used to look it over every so often for areas I was interested in (and sometimes
> still do if I'm chasing a bug in a particular area, just to see if it found
> something my eyes missed).
>
> There seem to be a half dozen or so other people that seem to be going through it
> marking the false positives, and fixing up some of the lower hanging fruit, but the bulk
> of the warnings there seem to be going unchecked.

The Coverty people keep saying they will be getting back to me soon as
to how they can run this for us in a way that is useful (they know the
false positives are horrible and make it useless).  But I haven't heard
back from them in a few weeks now, so I don't know what's up with it.

So, supposidly someone is working on this, and as it's closed source,
there's not much any of us can do to help out :(

greg k-h