[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] linux-next and process

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 21:17:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 01:08:12PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
 > On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:28:12 +1000
 > Stephen Rothwell <sfr at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
 >
 > > Also, I am wondering if we should talk a little about the process of
 > > being maintainers (I hear groans already :-) - I don't really want to
 > > teach you all how to suck eggs) and whether people have any (hopefully
 > > positive) criticism of the linux-next process itself.
 >
 > I'd like to hear about the code which is turning up in mainline but
 > wasn't in linux-next, or wasn't in linux-next in the same form/version.
 > How common is this, why is it happening, do we have a problem and if
 > so, what do we do about it.

This has been puzzling me for a while. Sasha Levin runs my fuzzing tool
on -next almost daily, and keeps finding bugs. Then when Linus merges it all,
we see a ton of new bugs appear that neither of us hit before.
I've observed this for the last 2-3 releases, but it's probably been happening
for longer.  This isn't driver specific either, it's core code that everyone runs.

It's a mystery.

	Dave