[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] writeback and kernel testing

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 21:12:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 01:55:36PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:

 > I have another suggestion: Can we get some code analysis tool to run over the
 > kernel on a regular basis ? Or, if we do, some more ?
 >
 > I just happened to get a Coverity result from the 3.0 kernel. Most of the bugs
 > it finds have been corrected in the current kernel, but some are still there.

They are actually constantly re-running the tests on Linus' tree.
(Looks like the last run was on the 15th). It found 5438 potential bugs right now,
but it needs people to actually review the code to determine if the bug is real
or a false positive.

I used to look it over every so often for areas I was interested in (and sometimes
still do if I'm chasing a bug in a particular area, just to see if it found
something my eyes missed).

There seem to be a half dozen or so other people that seem to be going through it
marking the false positives, and fixing up some of the lower hanging fruit, but the bulk
of the warnings there seem to be going unchecked.

	Dave