[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] writeback and kernel testing

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Mon Jun 18 19:40:38 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 07:07 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> I am running a nightly sequence of builds on my tree, for as many targets as
> possible. allyesconfig, allmodconfig, and a large number of randconfigs. That
> helps me find most of the problems I had early on, which only show up in some
> configurations. That combined with a personal rule to only push code upstream
> which has been in my local tree for at least one test cycle helps a lot to avoid
> the embarrassment of breaking linux-next or Linus' tree.

This sounds exactly what ktest does. And you can get it from the local
kernel tree today. I even added sample conf files in the 3.5 merge
window:

   tools/testing/ktest/examples/test.conf

Which includes a bunch of stuff in the examples/includes directory.

   tools/testing/ktest/examples/crosstest.conf

Which holds a bunch of tests to cross-compile most archs.

I guess I should propose talking about how we can incorporate these
various utilities such that everyone can benefit. And to spread the word
about what is out there.

-- Steve