[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon Jun 18 17:25:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 01:18:02PM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:12:24AM -0600, Greg KH wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >   - Maintainership issues.  As others have discussed, this can be a bit
> >     "contentious" at times.  At LinuxCon Japan a few weeks ago, I
> >     suggested a few things that as a maintainer I think will go a long
> >     ways in helping smooth this out, and I'd be glad to referee the
> >     session discussing this topic.
>
> One of my failings as a maintainer is keeping people up to date on which
> of their patches I've taken.  Do your scripts do this when you import a
> patch, or after they have been in your git tree?

They notify people when the patch goes into one of my git trees, where
it can be found, and when it is expected to show up in Linus's tree.

I've attached the version of the script I use, it's based on an old
script from Andrew Morton that he used to use (odds are he's fixed up
that old one to be a bit more recent.)  It relies on the different
naming scheme I use for my git branches (work-next for what to merge to
the next branch, and work-linus for what to merge to the "Linus"
branch), but you should get the general idea from it.

thanks,

greg k-h