[Ksummit-2012-discuss] Topic proposal: Finding and eliminating kernel work creation schemes

Roland Dreier roland at kernel.org
Mon Jun 18 13:51:17 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 4:47 AM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley at hansenpartnership.com> wrote:
> What I'd like to explore is
> firstly, can we just eliminate CONFIG_HOTPLUG and make it always y

I think that's probably a good idea, but one interesting way to look at that
is a work creation scheme: after all we have ~250 "#ifdef CONFIG_HOTPLUG"
scattered around the kernel, and someone will want to remove those.

But actually I'm in favor of such mechanical conversions as long as they end
up with better code.  There's certainly no shortage of people wanting to do
janitorial work, and just making sure that old code continues to compile is a
useful side effect.

The difficult thing is in agreeing on what is an improvement -- and I
think you're
example of printk -> pr_ conversion is a perfect example of the gray
area between
worthwhile work and distracting churn.

 - R.