[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] writeback and kernel testing

Fengguang Wu fengguang.wu at intel.com
Mon Jun 18 10:18:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 02:57:52PM +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Fengguang Wu <fengguang.wu at intel.com> wrote:

> >> Do you have a reference for the tests you've mentioned. Do you have a
> >> brief summary of the challenges and trade-offs?
> >
> > - memcg with dirty limits
> >
> >  The basic agreements are, we'll do per-memcg dirty limit, but set the
> >  limits reasonably high and do not expose interfaces to user space.
> >

> No interfaces in user-space, how is it expected to work via the global limits?

Yeah, we could implicitly tie the per-memcg dirty limits to the global one.
For example, do 40% memcg dirty ratio when the global ratio is 20%.

At the same time, we'll need to improve the page reclaim code so that
it works well even when a LRU list has 40% dirty pages. I believe this
is an achievable goal when we put dirty pages to a standalone LRU list.

Thanks,
Fengguang