[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] "Modularize" built-in componets to expunge them if they are unnecessary; Wither the baseline attendance.

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk konrad at darnok.org
Sun Jun 17 19:28:06 UTC 2012

Hello All,

Would like to discuss a mechanism to "modularize" built-in components. Meaning that
drivers/subsystems that are built in with CONFIG_XX=y if they fail to start
(say AMD IOMMU on Intel hardware) anything but zero are expunged from the .text section.
Specifically I want to discuss various methods this can be achieved for this:
1) make various early stage drivers behave as modules and load them the same way-ish
(hand-waving) as modules. 2) compaction and re-linking of various text-section around
the codes that did not get loaded 3) other ways?

And of course if it is worth it. My personal interest in this is to make the Xen
parts that are built-in and booted on bare-metal be expunged. This
system can also be quite useful in the embedded environments.

My expertise in the Linux kernel is with device drivers, x86 subsystem,
paravirt/alternative_asm, and virtualization.

I would like also to attend the "Wither the baseline" discussion as the
Xen PV is a heavy user of the mentioned hooks.

Thank you for consideration of this proposal.