[Ksummit-2012-discuss] Topic proposal: Finding and eliminating kernel work creation schemes

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Sun Jun 17 17:33:22 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 04:53:07PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 07:54 -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > Even the CONFIG_TINY people usually want to plug their device into
> > something at some point in time, and if not, it really isn't saving
> > them much, if any, memory to not do so.

> And even if it was, I think the onus would be on anyone who wants to
> preserve those saving, to come up with an automated way of dropping the
> unneeded bits from the final binary *without* cluttering the source
> code.

> The -ffunction-sections --gc-sections approach works relatively well,
> and could feasibly be extended to identify those functions which are
> referenced, even indirectly, from non-init code. Our tools already do
> half the fun work of that anyway, just for validation purposes.

This would be really awesome, and the ifdefs for PM code would also be a
useful target here.  Especially with modern idioms the ifdefs tend to be
some combination of ineffectual and ugly which seems more trouble than
it's worth (but I'm mostly working in a power sensitive environment
where you'd never turn these things off in the first place).