[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] writeback and kernel testing

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Jun 17 04:33:55 UTC 2012

On 06/16/2012 08:27 PM, Fengguang Wu wrote:

>> Most PC boxes can be fitted with either a serial console or a USB debug
>> dongle, but network console might be the way to go for ready drop-in.
>
> OK. We may use whatever is available..accepting that the latter
> approaches do not support early boot hang well.
>
>> Why do you need HTTP out of curiosity (other than speed)?
>
> I'm implicitly comparing it to TFTP.  Since TFTP does not support
> retry, it may have hard time downloading kernel images from a remote
> site. Another problem is firewalls.

TFTP does support retry.  It suffers performance-wise on long latency
links, though.  Firewalls are indeed an issue if there is a firewall
between you and the server; although there are other issues with that
(giving full control of your hardware to a machine in another security
domain is... questionable.)

	-hpa