[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] writeback and kernel testing

Fengguang Wu fengguang.wu at intel.com
Sun Jun 17 03:27:10 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 08:04:28PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 06/16/2012 07:19 PM, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> >
> > Physical test boxes would be even more valuable. I've addressed the
> > boot problem with gpxe or kexec, both supports HTTP kernel fetching.
> > The main difficulty is how to get the dmesg back. Most PC boxes don't
> > have serial console at all..
> >

> Most PC boxes can be fitted with either a serial console or a USB debug
> dongle, but network console might be the way to go for ready drop-in.

OK. We may use whatever is available..accepting that the latter
approaches do not support early boot hang well.

> Why do you need HTTP out of curiosity (other than speed)?

I'm implicitly comparing it to TFTP.  Since TFTP does not support
retry, it may have hard time downloading kernel images from a remote
site. Another problem is firewalls.

Thanks,
Fengguang