[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] writeback and kernel testing

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Sun Jun 17 01:18:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 10:50:41PM +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
[ ... ]

> Yeah, that should be a pretty common impression. The hardware
> capability and the fruit of catching one bug per day turns out to be
> much higher than my expectation :-)

How many servers do you actually need to compile 25k kernels per day ?
With my little system (i7-2600, SSD) I get about 1,000 randconfig kernel builds
per 24 hours, so it should not be too many.

Imagine an extended patchwork where patches are not only published, but also
automatically merged into the kernel and built. Thinking about it, and given the
number of patches submitted each day, that should actually already be possible
with just a single server.

Guenter