[Ksummit-2012-discuss] Topic proposal: Finding and eliminating kernel work creation schemes

Sat Jun 16 16:26:37 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 21:34 +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> > Do you expect to never plug any device into those systems after they
> > have been booted?  Never plug those systems into another one?
> >
> > Usually that isn't true, so I agree with just dropping CONFIG_HOTPLUG
> > and fixing up this __dev mess.
> >
> > Even the CONFIG_TINY people usually want to plug their device into
> > something at some point in time, and if not, it really isn't saving them
> > much, if any, memory to not do so.
>
> I am just saying.. I recently looked at a network router that in spec
> had just 16/32 MB RAM and 4 MB flash and it runs Linux (with no
> hotplug). You could be right, it might make sense to keep it,
> especially if it provides no value beyond a few KB of savings and in
> return causes a larger head ache

That's actually better specs than my router.  I'd look at what you're
running, because if it's openwrt, that has CONFIG_HOTPLUG enabled.  The
reason (as usual) is USB: my openwrt based Buffalo router has a single
USB port into which I plug my mobile for the odd emergency when the DSL
is down.  That doesn't work without CONFIG_HOTPLUG.

James