[Ksummit-2012-discuss] Topic proposal: Finding and eliminating kernel work creation schemes

Balbir Singh bsingharora at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 16:04:17 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> Do you expect to never plug any device into those systems after they
> have been booted?  Never plug those systems into another one?
>
> Usually that isn't true, so I agree with just dropping CONFIG_HOTPLUG
> and fixing up this __dev mess.
>
> Even the CONFIG_TINY people usually want to plug their device into
> something at some point in time, and if not, it really isn't saving them
> much, if any, memory to not do so.

I am just saying.. I recently looked at a network router that in spec
had just 16/32 MB RAM and 4 MB flash and it runs Linux (with no
hotplug). You could be right, it might make sense to keep it,
especially if it provides no value beyond a few KB of savings and in
return causes a larger head ache

Balbir