[Ksummit-2012-discuss] Topic proposal: Finding and eliminating kernel work creation schemes

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Jun 16 15:53:07 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 07:54 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> Even the CONFIG_TINY people usually want to plug their device into
> something at some point in time, and if not, it really isn't saving
> them much, if any, memory to not do so.

And even if it was, I think the onus would be on anyone who wants to
preserve those saving, to come up with an automated way of dropping the
unneeded bits from the final binary *without* cluttering the source
code.

The -ffunction-sections --gc-sections approach works relatively well,
and could feasibly be extended to identify those functions which are
referenced, even indirectly, from non-init code. Our tools already do
half the fun work of that anyway, just for validation purposes.

--
dwmw2