[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND or not ATTEND] That's the question!

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Sat Jun 16 13:29:06 UTC 2012

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 12:50:05 +0200 (CEST)
Thomas Gleixner <tglx at linutronix.de> wrote:

> A good start would be if you could convert your kernel statistics into
> accounting the consolidation effects of contributions instead of
> fostering the idiocy that corporates have started to measure themself
> and the performance of their employees (I'm not kidding, it's the sad
> reality) with line and commit count statistics.

I would dearly love to come up with a way to measure "real work" in
some fashion; I've just not, yet, figured out how to do that.  I do
fear that the simple numbers we're able to generate end up creating the
wrong kinds of incentives.

Any thoughts on how to measure "consolidation effects"?  I toss out
numbers on code removal sometimes, but that turns out to not be a whole
lot more useful than anything else on its own.

Thanks,

jon