[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] networking and other plumbing

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at vyatta.com
Fri Jun 15 22:16:03 UTC 2012

I would like to participate in Kernel Summit this year.

If desired I can describe how Vyatta uses Linux, what our customers see that others
don't and what we would like. Mostly we fix bugs, but the one area we
care about that I haven't seen much action on is union mount/fs.

Some of the issues I am concerned with but have no answer for.

  1. Making hardware aware applications. The current set of interfaces
     for discovering topology information about devices and cpu's
     is incomplete. Why do we still expect applications to go dumpster
     diving with dmidecode?

  2. How to make applications, and networking more aware of power
     management issues. For example, irq routing and network queues
     versus CPU load and power. Just punting and saying "implement
     policy in user space" is BS (see #1)

  3. The system utilities are in worse shape than the kernel. For example,
     irq management is still a mess today. I raised issue of irqbalance and irqd
     but not seeing much progress.

But to be honest I would mostly like to listen to what others
have to say about issues like the current no-hz patch set and
background on stuff that doesn't make it on to LWN. Like most
developers there is no way to have a real job and read
everything on LKML.

Also, if David isn't coming, I can cover some of the recent
events in the networking world. Like Eric's work on codel, the new
Openvswitch etc.