[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Patch review, bug/regression tracking, device hiererchy extensions

John 'Warthog9' Hawley warthog9 at kernel.org
Fri Jun 15 21:28:15 UTC 2012

On 06/15/2012 03:22 PM, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 15:17:27 -0600
> John 'Warthog9' Hawley <warthog9 at kernel.org> wrote:

>> Patchwork is on the todo, as has been mentioned before, and the
>> infrastructure is in place to get it back up shortly, I'd expect it to
>> be up before the end of the month.
>
> Awesome.  I definitely wasn't suggesting that you guys aren't doing a
> good job or anything; I'm just curious if anyone has "it would be great
> if kernel.org did $FOO" ideas we haven't considered before.  Patchwork
> was one long ago, and it'll be great to have that back...

Yeah, a lot of the things we run tend to be an itch someone scratched
and kinda grew well beyond their expected scope: gitweb and patchwork
are definitely instances of that.  I guess the question is: what are the
current tools not doing for people?  What would make things better
overall?  We've had bugzilla for a long time, patchwork for a couple of
years, are they working, are they not?

> The bz thing I mentioned is just one we feature I'd like (doesn't have
> to be fancy; even an automatic redirect to the fdo url would be fine, we
> just don't want to track more than one bz if we can help it).  But I'm
> sure there are others...

Yeah, I can appreciate only wanting to track one bugzilla (speaking as
someone who's got accounts on probably 2 dozen bugzillas).  I know that
the launchpad folks are looking forward to us getting the kernel.org
bugzilla upgraded as their is some mechanism for sharing bugs better in
a newer version, perhaps that's something we can hook into as well?
Bugzilla does have an xmlrpc interface, I suppose it might be possible
to take all bugs filed in one bugzilla and effectively sync them (using
an outside tool obviously) to the other?  How many other
!bugzilla.kernel.org bug tracking systems would want something like that?

- John