[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Patch review, bug/regression tracking, device hiererchy extensions

John 'Warthog9' Hawley warthog9 at kernel.org
Fri Jun 15 21:17:27 UTC 2012

On 06/15/2012 03:05 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Friday, June 15, 2012, Jesse Barnes wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 22:40:46 +0200
>> "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw at sisk.pl> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'd like to discuss the following things at the Kernel Summit:
>>>
>>> (1) Patch review: Are there any problems with patch review that we need to
>>>     address and if so, then how to do that; Can we have patchwork again?

Patchwork is on the todo, as has been mentioned before, and the
infrastructure is in place to get it back up shortly, I'd expect it to
be up before the end of the month.

>>> (2) Bug/regression tracking: Is there any need or would it be useful to track
>>>     kernel bug/regression reports?; If so, then what process would be most
>>>     convenient for that?; Is Bugzilla useful to anyone?
>>
>> This could be a more general topic about kernel.org infrastructure.
>
> Well, I think there are two things to consider here.  First, a process of
> tracking bugs (do we need BZ at all or perhaps we can use something else
> and how exactly we are going to use that) and second, an infrastructure needed
> for that.  They seem to be kind of separate, although obviously the set of
> processes we can choose from has to depend on the admins bandwidth limitations,
> so to speak.

There's a couple of things with respect to BZ.  First is that there's a
lot of disparate users of it, from the kernel developers to people
trying to track various metrics.  The second is the way Bugzilla gets
used can, and is, very different even amongst sub-systems.  Folks see it
as useful for some specific piece of their process, and they use it for
that, there's no consistency in how it's used.

>> For bz specifically, it would be handy if certain products/subsystems
>> were forwarded to other bugzillas (e.g. for graphics we tend to use fdo
>> and would like to keep things in one place).

This can already be done, sorta.  Since a category or something just
needs to be associated with an e-mail address, an entire category could
just go to an e-mail address associated with the other bugzilla.  There
is no, to my knowledge anyway, existing mechanism to do inter-bugzilla
referencing (like inter-wiki kinda stuff).  So that's doable right now,
but I don't know of anyone who's asked for that.

>> But I think patchwork is still down and there have been trouble with
>> some of the wikis; maybe we should discuss and figure out which
>> services are the most useful and see if the admins have the bandwidth
>> to handle it all?

Like I said, probably have that back up before the end of the month.

- John