[Ksummit-2011-discuss] Discussion topic proposal: trivial tree -- worth it?

Jiri Kosina jkosina at suse.cz
Mon Jul 11 09:41:01 PDT 2011

Title: trivial tree -- worth it?

Abstract:

One of the trees I maintain is trivial.git. Assorted things are merged
through it -- documentation updates, comment fixes, redundant code
removal, duplicate code removal, superfluous condition testing, etc.
Having some larger/tree-wide patch is not an exception, and breaking it up
per subsystem will cause even more overhead.

It also sometimes serves as Andrew's offload/backup (trivial tree in
re-transmission mode, for patches authored/acked by appropriate code
maintainer).

I avoid purely coding-style/whitespace fixes.

It takes me some time and energy to maintain it; mostly because many
people are attracted in some perverted way by this tree, and try to send
weird stuff through it (which I keep rejecting); sometimes I feel the time
and energy could be invested in better and more productive way.

Personally I think there is value even in merging things like typo fixes,
as it makes code easily greppable (and I am trying to merge only such typo
fixes for which this actually holds). But I am very well aware of the fact
that some people consider this to be unnecessary churn, bringing more
(simple) merge conflicts than average tree does. Some may also think that
it pollutes the history unnecessarily, etc.

I am fine with going on maintaining this tree, but I'd like to see whether
there is more acceptance/love than hate towards it in general.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs