[Ksummit-2011-discuss] Discussion Topic proposal: writing-sane-shared-libraries session for kernel hackers

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Fri Jul 8 12:30:00 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 21:08 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Friday, July 08, 2011, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 11:24 -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds to me like a good LPC topic, or another reason to have KS and LPC
> > > closely coupled.
> >
> > KS moves internationally, I thought that LPC had to stay in North
> > America. Did I hear wrong about that? Can LPC move internationally too?
> >
> > I think having LPC and KS move around and be back to back is a very good
> > thing. This may also solve some of the issues we have about the invitee
> > list for KS. We could keep the discussion session as usual (fewer than
> > 100 people invited) but still have those same kernel developers interact
> > with people that came for Plumbers.
>
> Well, perhaps it's a good idea to make this a topic for the KS? :-)

OK, I propose the Kernel Summit topic:

"Future Kernel Summits, how to handle the numbers?"

The Kernel Summit was created to get the core kernel developers to come
face to face and discuss the direction of Linux. As Ted Tso has said
before, putting a face to an email keeps email discussions more
technical and less prone to flame wars. (Although this doesn't always
work ;)

The number of kernel developers has grown substantially over the years.
The number of core developers has surpassed the number of people that
can attend a discussion panel and still be productive. This has cause
the Kernel Summit Committee to have to vote for who they think would be
helpful for the Linux kernel discussion for the upcoming year. This
selection is far from optimal, and many people how should attend are
left out.

This discussion will talk about how to handle future Kernel Summits. Any
ideas are welcome. This year we are trying workshops and presentations.
Perhaps next year it should be attached to another conference that is
focused on having all kernel developers attend. Qualified people may be
left out of the official discussion, but at least they would be there
for the hallway discussions.

-- Steve