[Ksummit-2009-discuss] Meeting userspace requirements

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Jul 12 19:01:13 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 06:56:35PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > I've just run a session at the desktop summit in Gran Canaria on the
> > functionality that userspace developers would like to see from the
> > kernel. Some interesting things came out of it, but one of the major
> > points was that people seemed generally unclear on how they could
> > communicate those requirements to kernel developers. Worth discussing?
> >

> So long as they can describe features wanted and why and not detail
> an implementation and don't necessarily want a kernel feature to work
> with some code that already exists on some other O/S... especially
> if it contains a broken interface.

The impression I got is that approximately no desktop developers care
about anything other than Linux unless they work for Sun. Consistency
with interfaces on other platforms may be nice, but there's unlikely to
be strenuous objections over being incompatible if that's what it takes
to get the functionality.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org