[Ksummit-2009-discuss] Meeting userspace requirements

Phillip Lougher phillip at lougher.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 18:39:58 PDT 2009

Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> I thought Greg had the driver-writing aspect of things all sewn up?
> http://www.linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/bin/view

That's what I would generally think, but that page has

"About us. We are a group of Linux kernel developers (over 200 strong) and
project managers (over 10) that develop and maintain Linux kernel drivers."

Does that 200 include people who have never written any drivers, but
would like the chance to have a go at writing one, if only they
could find a device that lacked a driver?  Implementing
esoteric drivers that no general developer would be interested
in sounds exactly the sort of thing newbie kernel developers
would do for free for the experience.

> At the end of the day though, they're going to need to persuade
> someone that not only is this feature a good idea, but that it's a good
> enough idea for them to spend their valuable spare time working on.
> That's probably where things will fall down.

Again, something for kernel newbies who presumably are happy to
spend their time getting experience?

Phillip