[Ksummit-2009-discuss] Meeting userspace requirements

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Sat Jul 11 11:02:48 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 11:30 -0500, James Bottomley wrote:

> >  >Some interesting things came out of it, but one of the major
> >  > points was that people seemed generally unclear on how they could
> >  > communicate those requirements to kernel developers. Worth discussing?
> >
> > Maybe. What exactly is the problem ? They know where linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org is,
> > so why aren't they talking to us there ?
>
> Yes, this would be my first question too ... is it because lkml is too
> intimidating?

That would be my first guess too -- no offence meant to the regular lkml
folks (some people really do irk even active contributors), but it seems
to me that new people who have actual _requirements_ to offer will just
be shot down 99% of the time because you need to be able to read between
the lines of their statements, not take their statement word for word,
and often they'll need coaching on how to achieve a userspace solution
instead of just getting "this need not be in the kernel period".

I for one think it would be worth discussing -- personally (in wireless,
that is) I've tried to listen at least to Dan's requirements but he's
very comfy in both the kernel and userspace communities.

johannes