[Ksummit-2009-discuss] Meeting userspace requirements

Sat Jul 11 09:30:02 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 11:53 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 04:44:39PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>  > I've just run a session at the desktop summit in Gran Canaria on the
>  > functionality that userspace developers would like to see from the
>  > kernel.
>
> A summary of this might be a good (short?) session too.

We're actually planning some sort of user feedback session at the Kernel
Summit.  Given the fact that it takes ages and costs a lot to get to
Tokyo, we're planning to use local people for this (obviously with a lot
of coaching and with a translator on hand).  So, if you think one of the
people you saw would be particularly useful to this, suggest a name ...
you've seen how these type of panels go before (I think the best one we
had was in Cambridge where Head Bubba was able to field detailed
technical questions about his networking issues) and what sort of
capabilities a panellist needs.  Otherwise, you summarising would be
good too.

>  >Some interesting things came out of it, but one of the major
>  > points was that people seemed generally unclear on how they could
>  > communicate those requirements to kernel developers. Worth discussing?
>
> Maybe. What exactly is the problem ? They know where linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org is,
> so why aren't they talking to us there ?

Yes, this would be my first question too ... is it because lkml is too
intimidating?

James