[Ksummit-2008-discuss] DTrace

Grant Grundler grundler at google.com
Mon Jun 30 09:43:43 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler <fche at redhat.com> wrote:
> Please forgive me for "crashing" the discussion party here.

Frank,
Excellent reply! Thanks!

Just one observation here:

> * dtrace "just works"
> A growing set of
>  runnable end-user scripts is already packaged with systemtap,
>  intended for use by nonexperts, more help (e.g. concise problem
>  statements about what you'd like to measure/see) would be welcome.

Would it be possible to look at prepackaged Dtrace "scripts"
and generate something comparable for systemtap?

I know the kernels are very different but the underlying functionality
(manage resources: CPU, memory, disk, network, etc) is basically
the same. In x86-64 case, it's the same HW doing essentially
the same things.

thanks,
grant