[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Request for discussion on when to merge drivers

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Jun 18 16:31:34 PDT 2008

> The only slight wrinkle (at least for me) is that often the process of
> cleaning up a driver is fairly intensive for a maintainer and turn
> around is a lot faster if you're doing it in a tree you control.  (All
> the scsi drivers we've done like this have lived in temporary branches
> while they were being worked on).  So perhaps in addition we should be
> encouraging maintainers to run staging branches under similar rules in
> the staging tree, but allowing inclusion into linux-next?

 .../...

linux-next should, imho, exclusively be for things we are pretty much
commited to merge in the next release. ie, a staging place to fixup
things like build breakages, patch conflicts, etc...

Or else, it will just be another -mm ....

So while what you say makes sense, I think we should only put drivers in
once we have pretty much decided that the drivers in question would be
merged... in which case, why not straight upstream ?

Cheers,
Ben.