[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Request for discussion on when to merge drivers

Jiri Kosina jkosina at suse.cz
Wed Jun 18 16:20:15 PDT 2008

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Benny Halevy wrote:

> Exposing the not-yet-ready-to-be-released code to linux-next will expose
> conflicts earlier, and hopefully in smaller, more manageable deltas.

I like the way linux-next works now, i.e. it should reflect what is going
into the next major kernel release. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, when talking about entirely new drivers for hardware that hasn't
been supported by the kernel at all so far (this is the situation we are
talking about, right?), there shouldn't be a lot of conflicts to be dealt
with, right? Ideally, drivers should be pretty isolated standalone pieces
of code that don't have any business changing any code that has been
already there.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs