[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Fixing the Kernel Janitors project

Grant Grundler grundler at google.com
Thu Jun 5 09:50:51 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 1:22 AM, Jiri Kosina <jkosina at suse.cz> wrote:
> Also, I am not sure what could serve as bigger motivation for people to
> finish the projects -- one-shot money being paid by Google, or receiving
> master of science degree? :)

:)
Google SoC isn't competing with anyone's Masters Degree Thesis
and thus both could be motivators.

Well, as I mentioned before, Google, HP, (and I think) IBM/et al do fund
research for longer term (6m to a year) projects. I brought up the funding
aspect in the hope the people would shoot it down as "not the problem".
I'll remind that funding can provide the wrong long term motivations
for being involved vs enabling full-time involvement. But it certainly is
another way to enable people to get started and who stays in for the
long haul is a separate issue.

thanks,
grant