[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Fixing the Kernel Janitors project

Grant Grundler grundler at google.com
Wed Jun 4 11:18:41 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:17 AM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley at hansenpartnership.com> wrote:
>> Subsystem maintainers can register as "mentors" for Google Summer Of Code
>> and equivalent programs at other companies. AFAIK, universities are targeted
>> for promoting those projects. Unfortunately, 2008 SoC is already off and running
>> but should keep it in mind for next year. Perhaps Linux Foundation could
>> be the focal point to help organize this for linux kernel in 2009.
>
> The google summer of code is really too short for university projects
> (other than things which go as small components to theses).

Ok. I know Google and HP (and I expect IBM/Oracle/EMC/et al will do the same)
fund "research projects".  Just need to connect some dots....I'm assuming
some funding will help with the original issue (improving quality of kernel
janitors contributions).  But it's a chicken/egg problem where someone has
to show some initial results before the corp will commit to buying new toys
and pay for some IT staff support and power bills.

> However, we
> can use it for other things ... like enhance your entry credentials to
> masters or doctoral programmes.  It's also a bit short for getting into
> kernel internals because the learning curve becomes too steep.

*nod*

> However, the Linux Foundation could look into finding a few projects, I
> suppose ... if it works OK for the fBSD people, it might work for us.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

>> Linux Foundation was historically more focused on "Industry Partners". I think
>> those partners have better connections to the Universities since they are
>> the ones attempting to recruit.
>
> Actually, that's not really true anymore: OSDL, it's predecessor
> organisation was focused on Industry; the Linux Foundation is focused on
> collaboration between all players in the ecosystem, of which
> universities are a part (there's even a special member class for them).

excellent - I didn't know that and was indeed thinking of OSDL.

thanks!
grant