[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Fixing the Kernel Janitors project

Grant Grundler grundler at google.com
Wed Jun 4 09:12:50 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:35 AM, Jiri Kosina <jkosina at suse.cz> wrote:
> On the other side, I know that universities (in their computer-science
> oriented study programmes, of course) have often problems with not having
> enough interesting projects for "Operating systems" kind of classes; even
> coming up with topics for master theses could sometimes be painful for
> them, if there are more students than creative ideas for work topics.

I was told the Master's thesis needs to involve some theoretical work
and not just a coding exercise. But undergrad students certainly can
use the "work experience" on more basic projects.

> So maybe
>
> - keeping the list of projects / TODOs interesting enough (*)
> *and*
> - putting some more effort into making sure that universities are aware of
>  the fact that we have such list of things that could save them effort
>  because they wouldn't have to pull work assignments out from the air
>  completely (**)

Subsystem maintainers can register as "mentors" for Google Summer Of Code
and equivalent programs at other companies. AFAIK, universities are targeted
for promoting those projects. Unfortunately, 2008 SoC is already off and running
but should keep it in mind for next year. Perhaps Linux Foundation could
be the focal point to help organize this for linux kernel in 2009.

> we could then receive non-trivial amount of newcomers providing useful
> code and getting closely acquainted with kernel coding for really low
> price.
>
> (*) I guess every subsystem maintainer has a lots of things he would like
> to have implemented in his area; at least I have :)
> (**) This would mean really some slight PR aimed towards universities;
> maybe Linux foundation could help here a little bit?

Linux Foundation was historically more focused on "Industry Partners". I think
those partners have better connections to the Universities since they are
the ones attempting to recruit.

hth,
grant