[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Suggested topic: possible new API's between file systems and the block layer

Ric Wheeler ricwheeler at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 22:10:37 PDT 2008

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 01:02:00PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
>> We can address those issues better at FAST than at kernel summit.  Far
>> more of the appropriate individuals are at FAST than are at KS.
>>

> I think FAST is the usenix thing.

FAST is a USENIX event, we have co-located the file & IO workshop with
FAST for the last couple of years. I think that the group is hoping to
move it away from FAST and possibly out of the San Jose area next year.

Some of us will still be at FAST which is a pretty solid storage & FS
related conference, full of young students, researchers and even a fair
number of engineers ;-)

I do agree that the workshop has more of the key people, but thought it
would be useful to have share our ideas/thoughts with the broader kernel
summit crowd.
>> I seem to be hearing a lot of silence over support for SSD devices.  I
>> have this vague worry that there will be a large rollout of SSD
>> hardware and Linux will be found to have pants-around-ankles.
>>

> I'm working on (and posting patches for) support for the Intel SSDs.
> Honestly, our pants are hovering around the groin area at the moment.
> What other manufacturers are doing, I have no idea.  If they want to
> do something other than create vague and nebulous fears, that would
> be appreciated.

Just getting enough developers access to these high speed devices would
be very useful so we can test & tune as needed....

ric