[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Suggested topic: possible new API's between file systems and the block layer

Matthew Wilcox matthew at wil.cx
Sat Jul 26 20:18:38 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 01:02:00PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> We can address those issues better at FAST than at kernel summit.  Far
> more of the appropriate individuals are at FAST than are at KS.

I think FAST is the usenix thing.

> I seem to be hearing a lot of silence over support for SSD devices.  I
> have this vague worry that there will be a large rollout of SSD
> hardware and Linux will be found to have pants-around-ankles.

I'm working on (and posting patches for) support for the Intel SSDs.
Honestly, our pants are hovering around the groin area at the moment.
What other manufacturers are doing, I have no idea.  If they want to
do something other than create vague and nebulous fears, that would
be appreciated.

a retrograde step."