[Ksummit-2008-discuss] A suggestion for Linux 3.0

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at infradead.org
Sun Aug 31 05:23:17 PDT 2008

> For one thing, I do not want to run an unmaintained kernel. 2.6.27 will
> likely be maintained for 3 months, 4 at best, after it is released, so
> basically, by January 2009 it will no longer be maintained.
>
> Using 2.6.16 instead is an option, if I trust Adrian Bunk to maintain
> it. But seeing that there were no updates between January 27th and July
> 16th this year, I'm a bit skeptical that I can rely on this kernel
> branch in terms of security.

This is a good point to use Alan's idea of branching kernel to 2.8 or 3.0.
With the current model, this means that 2.6 will keep receiving security
updates.

> You may think I am playing the devil's advocate here, and to some
> degree, yes, I am. But hopefully this will make you realize that plain
> killing ISA support will make a number of people unhappy, because these
> machines are still in use at this point in time, and people might have
> different reason to want to run a recent kernel on these. I think Alan
> is ahead of his time on that one, and removing ISA support would rather
> be done in 2 or 3 years, not now.

I'm not saying we should do it for linux-next. I'm just saying we should
put a date for this. It can be next year, or witwhin 2/3 years.

Cheers,
Mauro