[Ksummit-2008-discuss] A suggestion for Linux 3.0

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Aug 30 15:22:21 PDT 2008

> Can't we do all of the above today in our current model?  Or is it just
> a marketing thing to bump to 3.0?  If so, should we just pick a release
> and say, "here, 2.6.31 is the last 2.6 kernel and for the next 3 months
> we are just going to rip things out and create 3.0"?
>
> Or how do you all envision such an effort happening?

I thought it might be useful to actually draw some definite lines so we
can actually get around to throwing stuff out rather than letting it rot
forever and also if its well telegraphed both give people a chance to fix
where the line goes and - yes - as a marketing thing as much as anything
else to define the line in a way that non-techies, press etc get.

Plus it appeals to my sense of the open source way of doing things
differently - a major release about getting rid of old junk not about
adding more new wackiness people don't need 8)

Alan