[Ksummit-2008-discuss] A suggestion for Linux 3.0

Arjan van de Ven arjan at linux.intel.com
Sat Aug 30 13:21:21 PDT 2008

Alan Cox wrote:
> Having spent ages wading through old broken ISA drivers some of which
> clearly have no users as they've not worked for years I want throw in
> another proposal for the kernel summit
>
> At some point soon we add all the old legacy ISA drivers (barring the odd
> ones that turn up in embedded chipsets on LPC bus) into the
> feature-removal list and declare an 'ISA death' flag day which we brand
> 2.8 or 3.0 or something so everyone knows that we are having a single
> clean 'throw out' of old junk.
>
> It would also be a chance to throw out a whole pile of other "legacy"
> things like ipt_tos, bzImage symlinks, ancient SCTP options, ancient
> lmsensor support, V4L1 only driver stuff etc.

I like the idea of at least discussing this, and for a bunch of people making a long
list of what would go.
Based on that whole list it becomes a value discussion/decision; is there enough of
this to make it worth doing.

adding to that potential list
* OSS audio drivers
* drivers/ide ? (with ISA gone the list gets small there anyway)
* do we want to obsolete some obscure arches ?
* old-ISDN (not mISDN)
* gazillion exports that can go with the core going
* do we want to draw a line for userland support?
   (binfmt_aout anyone?)