[Ksummit-2008-discuss] proposal for discussion..

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 08:16:56 PDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 11:34:18PM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
 > Hi Dave,
 >
 > > I'd like to see if we can address the problem of developing subsystems
 > > in the kernel with large userspace dependencies.
 > >
 > > i.e. drm, alsa, v4l2.
 > >
 > > These subsystems have long been problem areas, and people are usually
 > > quick to blame the maintainers and developers. However
 > > I feel from maintaining one of these subsystems, that in-kernel
 > > development cannot always happen due to the amount of userspace code
 > > required,
 > > that we cannot provide a userspace ABI until we have finished all the
 > > kernel code and userspace code to use it.
 >
 > don't forget WiFi, Bluetooth, UWB, WiMAX and others. All the wireless
 > technologies highly depend on userspace and it is getting harder and
 > harder to sync them without breaking anything.
 >
 > If you think about for how long WEXT needed to die since they are beyond
 > fixable, but they are still around and creating more and more problems
 > every time.

Sounds like there's enough contention around this subject for it to be
a worthwhile slot. (And also, it's possibly one of the most controversial
ones so far, and we need some of that to keep us awake for the two days :)

The thing that I'm not getting from the proposal though is
"and here's what we'd like to do about it"

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk