[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Kernel Summit Request for Discussion: The Future of Target mode and Cloud storage on Linux

Matthew Wilcox matthew at wil.cx
Wed Aug 20 19:21:51 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 09:07:14PM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> Now if you need me to bash heads together I'd be happy to do that at the
> plumbers conf ... we already have a storage Micro Conference, no less.
> However, taking up a KS discussion slot for this is just going to bore
> 90% of the audience and achieve less than a discussion amongst the
> storage stakeholders has the potential to .... although if the latter
> degenerates into a "mine's better than yours" type discussion it will
> also turn out to be pointless.

I'd just like to say that I don't anticipate the storage microconf being
used as a venue for this kind of thing.  The point of Plumbers is to get
userspace and kernelspace people together and talking to each other.  As
such, I intend to keep the focus on stupid stuff the kernel does that
makes userspace's life hard, and stupid stuff that userspace does that
makes the kernel's life hard.  Or if you prefer to accentuate the
positive, clever stuff that userspace could be doing and clever stuff
that the kernel could be doing.

The target-mode discussion almost qualifies due to the discussion being
whether something should be inside or outside the kernel, but I really
think we can find better things to talk about.  Some of those are
already listed at http://plumbers.linuxplumbersconf.org/doku.php?id=wilcox08
and I'd encourage people to add to it.

--
Matthew Wilcox				Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."