[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Kernel Summit Request for Discussion: The Future of Target mode and Cloud storage on Linux

Nicholas A. Bellinger nab at linux-iscsi.org
Wed Aug 20 18:20:24 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 18:06 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 06:06:52PM -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > Again for there, it comes down to the basic design question:
> >
> > Will the kernel mode target engine be based on SCSI and live in
> > drivers/iscsi, or should the target engine use common code to provide
> > infrastructure for SCSI and non SCSI based storage fabrics..?
>
> That sounds like a perfect topic for the scsi mailing list, why not take
> it there right now and get it resolved this week?

Heh, we have been going around and around on the topic for so long on
Linux-SCSI, and no one is happy with the current results.

I am definately willing to throw it out there again, but I am confident
that building on the existing design will not take target mode Linux in
the direction we want to go, and that making the baby steps to get
things moving with the userspace folks in the correct direction to move
towards wrt the current situation.

But I do appreciate the note Greg. :-)

--nab