[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Suggested topic: possible

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Aug 6 14:19:23 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 08:22:31PM +0300, Eyal Shani wrote:

> We would like to enable the RELEVANT people to play with SSDs. But how
> does one decide who is relevant & who is not?

That is simple, look at who writes the code in the kernel and who was
invited to the File system and storage summit.

Or just ask, it's not like we all haven't been asking for these things
for _years_ now.  We were warned by a few manufacturers that it was
coming but no one was willing to actually give us any hardware to work
with.

> We are already working with few Linux guys, and they are being
> supplied with devices, as we speak. I agree, that is not enough.

Then blanket us with devices, heck, there aren't all that many that need
to go out here :)

> I am now visiting the LinuxWorld convention in San Fran, hearing from
> Linux vendors, and getting lot of Questions on SSDs, and their
> adoption into PC market. My kind of temperament mail came after
> hearing many questions on the convention floor - I must have been
> fired up...

LinuxWorld is full of vendors who are not in touch with what actually
happens in the kernel or the community.  Been that way for years.

> We are considering to have some SSD orientation, kind of an open forum
> with our Technical experts, giving some good design guidelines, and
> answer SSD related questions. This should lead to an some good
> discussion.

That would be wonderful to have.

> If we move fast enough, and if Linux Foundation facilitates us, we
> should have it during Plumber summit in Portland.

Please contact the plumbers conference organizers to help set this up.

thanks,

greg k-h